Single Family Homes, Houses, Condos, Townhomes, Townhouses, Investment Properties, Land and Real Estate in Sutton, Alaska
Ahtna and Dena’ina Athabascan Indians have occupied this territory for centuries. During the Russian fur trading era, Ahtna transported pelts from the Dena’ina along the Matanuska River to Copper Fort in the east. Sutton was founded around 1918 as a station on the Matanuska branch of the Alaska Railroad for coal export purposes. The railroad went through Sutton to the Chickaloon Mine. The Sutton Coal Washery operated from 1920 to 1922. Sutton was the base camp for construction of the Glenn Highway from 1941 to 1945. The post office was established in 1948. Coal from the privately-owned Evan Jones, Jonesville, and Eska mines fueled the Sutton and Palmer economies until 1968, when the military bases in Anchorage converted their power systems to oil, and coal mining ceased. During the 1980s, several large tracts of land were subdivided, fueling growth.
Community information provided by Alaska Chamber of Commerce.
Community Picture taken by conebaby.